This article contains the information used to configure passwordless with the Microsoft Authenticator App (2 factor authentication). In order to perform this action, make sure you follow the prerequisite instructions that are listed below.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Your user account is a member of the Users4MicrosoftAdminPasswordless security group In O365 Admin Center (as shown below).
- Microsoft Authentication app is already installed on your smartphone (Android or IPhone).
- Microsoft Authenticator app is configured for notification (when authenticating you accept with approve or deny).
- In your Security Info in 0365, you have two authentication methods configured – one being the Microsoft Authentication app which is also the default (as shown below).
Note – Screenshots are from iPhone (Android is similar).
- Launch the Microsoft Authenticator app and select The United Church of Canada (your email address) account (as shown below).
- Under your account, select Enable phone sign-in
- Select ‘Continue’ to Sign-in with your phone (as shown below).
- Enter the password for your user account and then select Sign in (as shown below).
- Select ‘Approve a request on my Microsoft Authenticator app’ (as shown below).
- You’ll be asked to enter the number which is being blocked by the Sign-in dialog box. Select ‘I can’t see the number’ (as shown below).
- The Sign-in dialog box will disappear for 3 seconds revealing the random number (as shown below).
- Enter the number you saw previously in the Sign-in dialog box and select ‘Yes’ (as shown below).
- Once completed, your account will display Passworldless sign-in is enabled (as shown below)
- Launch your web browser (Google Chrome preferably because Microsoft Edge remembers your sign in even when you sign out with your account) and navigate to office.com and sign in with your account.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your password then select ‘Use an app instead’ (as shown below).
- You’ll receive an Approve sign in dialog box which contains a random number (as shown below).
Smartphone Final Steps
- Select the Approve sign-in notification to launch the Microsoft Authenticator app (as shown below).
- In the Sign in dialog box type in the random number on your Desktop screen and select ‘Yes’ (as shown below).
Desktop Final Steps
- On the Stay signed in dialog box select ‘Yes’ (as shown below).
- You have successfully configured Passwordless.